Monday, August 4, 2008

Back to Work

For whatever reason I've gotten back to work on the screenplay. I've resolved myself to the fact that this draft will be far too long, and I'll have a big editing job once I'm done. This revelation allows me to write with the sense of freedom I need to be creative. It's easier to edit after it's on the page than before.

One of the most difficult things for me to do is let my characters be unlikeable. I don't want to create characters that can be emotionally written-off because they're mean, awkward, or evil. That seems two-dimensional. But the alternative is just plain chaos. Not every character can have the opportunity to explain or redeem him/herself in a screenplay--there is simply not enough time. But, as in life, I'm having a difficult time being disciplined with my character development.

No comments: