Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lost

Lost. I'm a fan. Of the TV show, not the physical or existential states of being. I've been watching the show from the beginning and I've always had this sense that it's inherently biblical, but I could never put my finger on it. After tonight's episode I'm beginning to understand.

If you haven't seen the show I don't want to give anything away. I will say, though, that predestination v. free will is a central theme. Cool, huh? And they've managed to hold a huge segment of the population's attention for six years!

Another major theme of the show, and the one that I really resonate with, is the concept of the unexplained calling. That is to say, certain characters believe that they have been called to the island but they don't know why. They don't know what they're supposed to be doing, and even as they begin to find out it's only like the slow opening of a spring flower to the sun. One of the major revelations of this season, though, is who exactly has been doing the calling.

Without getting into any detail (for the purpose of not spoiling it), I wanted to write about something that I was struck by in tonight's episode. One of the characters was shell-shocked. He was frustrated, at the end of his rope, because he had accepted the calling. He had said 'Yes' but he had never been told what the plan was. He didn't even know what his own role was supposed to be. He was just there, obeying and waiting... Waiting for answers... Waiting for the plan...

Sometimes I feel like that too. I've accepted the calling of Jesus, but the details are fuzzy. And he tells me to wait... But I get frustrated because I want answers. I want to know what I'm waiting for, and why it's taking so long. But Jesus acts like he doesn't owe me an explanation--like the calling is a sufficient act of grace in itself and I should be thankful simply for being chosen. And I am grateful for being chosen. But sometimes I regret saying 'Yes'...

That's the tension of Lost. That's the tension of my life.

1 comment:

rachelspiegel said...

Wow, I love Lost and I hadn't considered that. Good word, Andy. Hang in Richard!