Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rites of Spring

I'm not a tradition guy. I don't like doing the same thing for Thanksgiving or Christmas. It doesn't bother me if I don't see fireworks on the Fourth of July. I don't even like wearing a tie at Easter service. But there is one tradition that I absolutely love and will do for the rest of my life.

On the first beautiful day of the year, every year, I listen to the song Heaven Sent by Cush. I've done this for the past 12 years, and I do it because the song reminds me of the sun. During the winter in Ohio the sun does not come out. Ever. Seriously. Three solid months of overcast skies and freezing cold weather. (And people say that Hell is a hot place.)

But eventually, by the grace of God, winter comes to an end. That happened this week. So when the thermometer passed 50 degrees and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, I knew that it was Cush time. This song takes me to a place I've never been but where I know that I belong. This song is the summer. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

My summer song is "Stolen" by Dashboard. The fast one, not the slow one. The slow one is worthless. :P